Monday, February 11, 2008

Rambo: First Post, Part II

What better way to start things off than with some Oscar predictions, now that the writers' strike is more or less behind us.  Here we go:

Picture
It's got to be either No Country for Old Men or Juno, and my money's on No Country.  A fantastic, complicated movie that deserves all the credit it's getting, even if a lot of people don't get the ending.

Actress
Ellen Page, for Juno.  Her lovable wiseass is an instant classic.

Actor
I'll join the rest of the world and call this one for Daniel Day Lewis.

Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not Here.  Kudos for Todd Haynes thinking way outside the box with this one.

Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford.  Affleck's a revelation in this movie, totally fearless.

Animated Feature
Ratatouille, a movie that, if this category didn't exist, would probably be up for Best Picture.

Art Direction
Sweeny Todd - Tim Burton movies are all about the art direction.

Cinematography
Roger Deakins, The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford.  Deakins is one of my favorite DPs, so it's great to see him get two well-deserved nominations this year.  

Costume Design
A bit of a toss up, but I'm going to say Atonement.

Direction
Joel and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men, although it could really go to any of them this year.

Documentary Feature
Although the smart money might say Sicko, I'm picking No End in Sight.

Film Editing
The Bourne Ultimatum - it's basically a two hour chase scene, yet never gets tiring.

Makeup
Pirates.  If Norbit wins an Oscar, the plague of locusts can't be far off.

Music
Atonement, although I'd like to see Ratatouille get some love here.

Song
"Falling Slowly" from Once - this song comes at an absolutely integral moment in the film, and if it wasn't as good as it is, the film wouldn't have worked.

Sound Editing
Transformers, it's gotta be.

Sound Mixing
Transformers again: millions of home theatre show-offs can't be wrong.

Visual Effects
More love for Transformers.

Adapted Screenplay
No Country for Old Men

Original Screenplay
Juno


I left a few out that would've been total guesses, but it's my blog and I'll do what I want to.
Feel free to agree or disagree.

5 comments:

Subversive said...

Hey dude. I'm going to bet on all your predictions, and if I win money, I'm not giving any of it to you!

Unknown said...

So are these predictions or picks? If they're who you think will actually win, who are your picks for who you think should? Or is that the same thing?

(Claire and I don't want to sign up for yet another blog account -- we've already got blogs! -- so we'll be sharing this one since you disabled anonymous comments.)

-R.

Dan said...

Let's call them predictions. While I agree with many on the nominees, there are plenty of great films that were shut out - Zodiac, for example, which is my personal favorite of 2007.

The no anonymous comments thing must be some sort of default, I'll see what I can do to fix that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Looks like I can even post under my LJ name now. Good stuff.

Predictions it is, then. :)

So Ratatouille is that good, eh? Not having seen it, I was under the impression that it was just a fun show. Lots to it after all, then?

I agree with you 100% on Transformers (naturally). The sound and visuals on that movie were incredible. (Which is good, since that was pretty much the point. But hey, Transformers!)

-R.

Dan said...

Ratatouille is fantastic - an engaging story with fully realized characters - and it's something that could only be told using animation. I watch very few animated movies, but Pixar has never dissapointed. Both this and The Incredibles have greatly moved animated storytelling forward.

Another you'll love is Sunshine, if you haven't seen it. Excellent sci-fi that seems pretty realistic.